June 15, 2018

Project Share - Family Portrait




This is a bit different than my normal posts, but as I've said I'm a girl of many hobbies! A few weeks ago I was commissioned to make a cross-stitched family portrait for someone. They sent me to this Martha Stewart tutorial to give me a sense of what they were looking for. I did use the tutorial as a guide for some of the figures, but was able to modify the design to fit the people I was emulating.


The hardest part was the puppy. They have a small Shih Tzu who is very lightly colored; whites and creams. I had to modify the colors slightly so she wouldn't disappear. I also couldn't find any templates or guides online for her design. I was on my own with her, but I love the way she turned out.




The final piece in the end was perfect for an 8x10. I think that's an appropriate size for a family portrait. I have noticed that most of these on Etsy are only 5x7. For what the cost is to the customer that seems too small to me. I went larger to give my client more bang for her buck so to speak.

Here is one more shot of it out of the hoop when I was ironing it. She is taking it in to be framed professionally instead of displaying it in the hoop.






If you are interested at all on having a portrait made please feel free to contact me!
aurorwillow@gmail.com

Thanks for stopping in.

No comments:

Post a Comment